Total Pageviews

Friday, September 11, 2015


"11th September 2015"

All the experts in mental health emphasise the importance of medication. They advise those who have mental health issue to obediently taking medication for life. I agree that medication should be the first step in curing my mental illness but if anyone thinks just take medication and the illness can be cured is obviously far too optimistic.

Every time I consult my psychiatrist, he only cares that I do take my medication every day and I can have a normal lifestyle as others. The whole consultation normally lasts not more than 15 minutes and I only consult him from monthly to every 2 months till currently every 4 months. From his point of view, I already can have a normal and healthy lifestyle. Moreover for the medication part, my doses have been decreased from 6 Epilims a day to only 1 Epilim per day.

As you can see, it is really not enough if I solely depend on the medication. What's else is important for recovery? The answer is, talk therapy. Remember I did mention in one of my previous posts that you should trust at least someone? There must be at least someone whom you really trust and you know he or she will always listen to you with open arms. Open your heart and talk to him or her about every thing which troubles you.

It's advisable to write what you want to talk in words instead of keep on talking. When you write, you will automatically re-read what you write before you send your message. In comparison, if you just talk about it aloud, you might get lost in your own talk. Hence, it is much better to talk in words.

In summary, besides medication, talk therapy is very important for recovery. Talk therapy does work greatly on me in getting back my sanity.      

No comments:

Post a Comment